- Sunday 11th February: Year 12 Chirripó expedition preparation - Cerro San Miguel, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Monday 12th February: Early Years 2 IEYC Trips to a friend's house
- Tuesday 13th February: Early Years 1C IEYC Trip to a friend's house
- Wednesday 14th February: Friendship Day - special dress code applies
- Thursday 15th February: Early Years 1A IEYC Trip to a friend's house | Year 9B Expedition - Laguna Don Manuel - 8:00 a.m. departure from School
- Friday 16th February: Early Years 1B IEYC Trip to a friend's house | Early Years 3 IEYC Trip to a friend's house | Year 9B Expedition - Laguna Don Manuel 2:30 p.m. arrival at School | Year 6 Social Media Workshop with PRESODE - 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday 24th February: International Fair
FRIENDSHIP DAY: On Wednesday 14th of February, the British School will celebrate Friendship Day. In addition to a number of activities organised throughout the day, students are permitted to come to school in non-uniform (jeans with either a red, white or pink top with students in Primary also being permitted to wear shorts).
INTERNATIONAL FAIR: We would like to remind the BSCR community that our annual International Fair will be held this year on Saturday 24th of February between 7:00am and 2:00pm. All proceeds from this day are donated to the various Service Learning projects that our students participate in over the year. In 2017 these included: Fundación Regalemos Sonrisas, Escuela Unidocente La Sirena, Esperanza Urbana, Club Sport La Libertad, Hogar de la Esperanza, Hogar Casa Luz, Banco de Alimentos, Hogar Infantil Curridabat, Hogar Carlos María Ulloa, Hogar CUNA, Hospicio de Huérfanos de San José, Fundación Lifting Hands, Hogar San Pedro Claver, Escuela Rincón Grande de Pavas y Centro de Formación Juvenil Zurquí.
CLASS REPRESENTATIVES: Last week, students from Year 1 to Year 5 chose their class representatives for this year. In the midst of an atmosphere of enthusiasm, the candidates had the opportunity to express their ideas to their classmates. The voting process was then carried out through a secret vote before the totals were collated. Congratulations to everybody who participated. The following are the elected representatives:
|1 A||Luca Griffiths||4 A||Marco Antonio Jop|
|1 B||Liam Griffiths||4 B||Ariana Rojas|
|1 C||Sofía Yousef||4 C||Mauricio Cabrera|
|2 A||Juliana Arguedas||5 A||Alejandro Guardiola|
|2 B||Daniela Arguedas||5 B||Diego Víquez|
|2 C||Agustín Mejía||5 C||Diego Sánchez|
|3 A||Luciana Paniagua|
|3 B||Santiago Gazel|
|3 C||Sofía Picado|
Duties of the class representatives:
- Class representatives are responsible for transmitting ideas to the Administration to improve the school environment.
- Model a positive attitude.
- Attend monthly meetings, some of which are with the Student Council from Secondary
- Inform classmates about the observations and comments of the meetings they attend as a class representative.
- Promote the values of respect, responsibility and loyalty among their peers.
- Maintain a positive attitude towards their peers, teachers, other students and other members of the School community
- Cooperate in the planning of some school activities.
- Help those students who are experiencing special situations
VISUAL ARTS SPEAKER: On Friday 2nd of February, the Year 11 IB art students were fortunate to have as a guest speaker one of our ex-students, Tony Fung, who came to visit the IB Visual Arts class to discuss the journey through IB Visual Arts. Tony shared his knowledge and advice with the group on how he achieved a level 7 in IB Visual Arts and his experiences studying Design at Veritas University in San José. Congratulations to Tony on his amazing achievements and a sincere thanks from all the group, for him taking time out to contribute his thoughts and experiences to aid the Year 11 Visual Arts Group in their own journey as the next IB Visual Arts generation.
BUTTERFLIES: On Wednesday 7th of February the Art Department was invited to return to ‘Parque Ecológico del SINAC’ in Heredia to collect three sets of butterfly display cabinets from the Butterfly Room and exhibit them for a month in the Art Department. In January, a number of staff members helped with the conservation of the park through the School’s Service Learning programme which is when the possibility of exhibiting the butterflies at School first arose. It is a fantastic opportunity for the Art students to work from first hand observation, especially Year 8 IMYC Art students whose theme is Responsibility and who are studying the conservation of insects and the natural world within this theme. The Art Department would like to send a big thank you to the Coordinator of the Ecological Park, Laura Brenes Chaves, who made this opportunity to display a very beautiful and fragile collection from the park possible.
STUDENT COUNCIL ELECTIONS: In the middle of the national electoral movement in Costa Rica, our School has also started the process of electing the Student Council. The following is the calendar of activities for this process:
|Date||Description of activity|
|24 - 30 January||Class Representatives Committee election (in Social Studies – Y6 to Y11- and in Spanish for Y12)
Creation of the Student Electoral Committee (T.E.E.)
|7 - 8 - 9 February||Registration of Political Parties|
|14–15-16 February||"Propaganda Week" - Decoration of corridors|
|16 February||"Political Debate" - 12:30 pm – Auditorium|
|20 February||Student Council election for: Y6 – Y7 – Y8|
|21 February||Student Council election for: Y9 – Y10 – Y11 – Y12|
For next week, on 14th, 15th and 16th of February, the parties will be able to decorate the corridors and visit classes to explain to their classmates what they intend to do should they be elected. Also, on Friday 16th of February at 12:30 pm in the Auditorium, the debate between these groups will take place. We invite you all to participate and check that your school ID card is up-to-date so that you can participate in the voting process which takes place on Tuesday 20th of February (Y6 - Y7 - Y8) and Wednesday 21st of February (Y9 - Y10 - Y11 - Y12).
Also, the Student Electoral Committee (TEE) is comprised of the following students:
|Valeria Chang (Presidente)||Y12A|
|Ana Cristina Acedo||Y11D|
Class Representatives: We have also elected our Class Representatives for the 2018 school year:
|Y6A||Carmen Aviléz González||Y9C||Luisa Jiménez Golcher|
|Y6B||Sofía Ventura||Y10A||Mariana Gaspar|
|Y6C||Lina Laurencich Prado||Y10B||Camila Corriols|
|Y7A||Federica García||Y10C||Sofía Saballos Fonseca|
|Y7B||Rebeca López||Y11A||Arturo Giacomín|
|Y7C||Catalina Herrera||Y11B||Tomás Carnevale|
|Y8A||Paola Arias||Y11C||Andrés Wu|
|Y8B||Daniel Chen||Y11D||Felipe Solís|
|Y8C||Alejandro Ocampo||Y12A||María Fernanda Carro|
|Y9A||Mattías Brohl||Y12B||Andrés Ramírez|
|Y9B||Kelly Lin||Y12C||Eugenia Ramírez|